points - Details)
The Ghost Army of World War II is the first book to tell the full story of how a traveling road show of artists wielding imagination, paint, and bravado saved thousands of American lives.
In the summer of 1944, a handpicked group of young GIs—including such future luminaries such as Bill Blass, Ellsworth Kelly, Arthur Singer, Victor Dowd, Art Kane, and Jack Masey—landed in France to conduct a secret mission. From Normandy to the Rhine, the 1,100 men of the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops, known as the Ghost Army, conjured up phony convoys, phantom divisions, and make-believe headquarters to fool the enemy about the strength and location of American units. Every move they made was top secret and their story was hushed up for decades after the war’s end.
Hundreds of color and black and white photographs illuminate how their creations supported the war tactics that helped open the way for the final drive to Germany. The stunning art created between missions offers a glimpse of life behind the lines during World War II:
• Lavishly illustrated with original paintings, sketches, maps, and photographs
• Presents personal accounts and never-before-seen artwork by some of twentieth-century America’s leading visual artists
• Shows first-hand the inflatable tanks, counterfeit patches, and highly orchestrated fake maneuvers created by the Ghost Army
Any collector of World War II books will find The Ghost Army of World War II an essential addition to their library.
From the Publisher
“A fascinating read”
—Libby O’Connell, chief historian of the History Channel.
“What a story!”
“This book is a complete delight.”
—Roy R. Behrens, author of False Colors: Art, Design and Modern Camouflage.
“Finely told and beautifully illustrated”
—Gordon H. “Nick” Mueller, president and CEO, the National WWII Museum.
“I enjoyed it enormously.”
“I heartily recommend this book.”
—Martin King, author of Voices of the Bulge and The Tigers of Bastogne, consultant to the History Channel.
“World War II history buffs will get a charge out of [it]”
- The Lion and the Lamb – A children’s chapter book with moral lessons for Ages 3-5 years and above: A Bedtime Picture Story for Kids (Toddlers, Preschoolers, ages 6-8, 8-10 and up ) - January 29, 2021
- Dark Haven Illusion (The Children Of The Gods Paranormal Romance Book 47) - January 29, 2021
- Getting to Know & Love Islam: A Children’s Book Introducing Islam - January 29, 2021